Saturday, March 4, 2023

Floating Strips Card

Hey there! I'm posting today with a new card project for CutCardStock!

So, I love perusing Pinterest and one day I came across a technique I had not seen before. It was cards created with “floating strips”. Have you seen or made these yourself? I really like the look of them and decided to give it a try. And, this is what I came up with!

Card Stock

I chose to use 3 colored card stocks in coordinating colors, Basis AQUA 80lb Cardstock, Pop Tone BERRYLICIOUS 8.5×11 Discount Card Stock, and Pop Tone SNO CONE 8.5×11 Discount Card Stock.  Basis WHITE 80lb 12 x 12 Cardstock will also be used.


Floating Strip Construction 

The floating strip piece is put together by cutting 1/4 inch strips of the colored card stock and adhering to a piece of clear acetate( I used transparency film).



I cut 16 strips and used double sided 1/4 inch tape to adhere to a 5 x 5 inch piece of acetate. The strips were spaced apart a small amount to let the acetate show in between.



Once your acetate piece is done, die cut into desired shape. I used a square approximately 4 1/4 inches.



Card Base

My card base was constructed with a 6 x 12 inch piece of Basis White Card Stock scored in half to form a 6 x 6 inch square card.

A piece of Aqua card was trimmed to 6 x 6 inches to cover the card front. I matted with a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch of white card stock.



The floating strip piece was centered onto the card front and adhered with foam squares.



Completing the Design

All that’s left to do is add little something on to the floating strip to finish.

I decided to go with a die cut sentiment, drum set and punched music notes. These were cut out of the Basis White Card Stock.


Die cuts and punched notes were adhered with wet glue. I actually ended up die cutting the sentiment and drum set 3 times. They were glued together to give a little more stability and dimension.


I hope you enjoyed my Floating Strips Card project and that I have provided some inspiration to try this technique. This is certainly something I will doing again!

As always, we would love for you to connect with us over on the CutCardStock Facebook Page and out new Facebook Group Creating with Card Stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment